December 12, 2022
How to Get a Job as a Security Guard in 2022
Security guards are nothing short of knights in shining armour in the modern period. A security guard will be someone who protects a person, assets, properties, premises, etc. They are responsible for crowd control during events and other crowded areas. If you are a responsible person with strong morality and confident enough to handle people under stressful conditions, security guard jobs will be suitable for you.
Responsibilities of Security Guards
The demand for qualified security guards is higher due to the increase in vandalism, crime, and other types of unrest in society. As a security guard, you will be responsible for protecting the property or person against any attempts of assault, crime, or any type of threat. Some of the common responsibilities are,
- Maintaining law and order in the private area assigned to you.
- Monitoring the visitors and guarding areas that see high traffic.
- Check the IDs of the visitors and issue temporary visitor passes to them.
- Handling metal detectors and checking baggage.
- Do routine surveillance of the premises and monitor surveillance equipment.
These are some of the important responsibilities of the security guard which will be required at schools, hospitals, company offices, malls, banks, government offices, private residences, etc.
Qualifications for Security Guard Jobs
You can find plenty of opportunities for security guard jobs in Delhi and other major cities. More than educational qualifications, security guard jobs demand that you have certain skills to be qualified. While you will be expected to have a basic education of class 8 or above, you need to excel at other areas that are relevant to the job.
- Fitness: Mental, as well as physical fitness, is of utmost important for security guard jobs. When you are responsible for guarding a larger company or an important person, a threat may be of any kind. You must be ready to face and tackle any such possible threats.
- Technical skills: Basic technical skills in the form of handling surveillance equipment, communications devices, and other technologies involved will be a requirement.
- Communication skills: Both verbal and written communication skills will be an added advantage as you may be constantly in contact with people who arrive at the place that you are in charge of.
- Interpersonal Skills will come in handy when dealing with a larger crowd or charged situations.
- Leadership skills will help you get the team together and get the job done as smoothly as possible. It will also help you get a better grip when there is an untoward incident such as vandalism or robbery.
- Professional training: Having professional training will be useful when you have to defuse the threat physically. Ex-servicemen will have an advantage here as they will also be trained in using weapons.
- Thinking skills and calm demeanour: in the middle of an agitated crowd, you must be able to keep calm and also must calm others under stressful situations. A good security guard will be able to talk them down to get the situation under control.
How to build a resume for Security Guard Jobs?
One of the most important parts of getting a job as a security guard is to present a compelling resume. This is where you will be listing out your qualifications and skills. The resume should have some keywords that stand out to express your skills and experience. You must do a thorough self-assessment and emphasize your qualities such as,
- A clean track record
- Good communication skills
- Meticulous and punctual
- Your ability to follow orders and give instructions
- Goal oriented
- Your sense of responsibility and integrity
- Thinking skills
- Ability to multitask and still be vigilant
When writing a resume, it is not all about whether or not you meet all the criteria, but also the way you present your limited skills. If you are someone with no experience in this field, you may also write about your experience in other areas such as,
- Voluntary work at any events
- Training in martial arts, military, police, etc.
- Working as a customer care personnel in any industry
Important points for Security Guard Job Interview
Another hurdle in getting a security guard job is completing the job interview. Each type of job will have its set of questions that help the recruiters assess your capability. The security guard job interview questions will all be towards your capability in communications, ability to control the crowd, or handling the situations calmly. Here are some likely questions asked.
- Why did you choose to be a security guard?
- How will you handle two people fighting each other?
- What is the best way to handle a gang or rogues?
- How to stay calm when dealing with a chaotic situation?
- How can you calm down an angry person through communication?
It is important to practise your answers as well. Try to find out such a situation that you were able to handle and form a brief account of it. Describing such situations properly will help the recruiters see your working skills as well as your communication skills.
How to get a Security Guard Job?
- Do basic research about the various qualifications required and complete some training courses if possible.
- Search for job opportunities in and around your area or in the city close to you.
- Submit your resume and wait for the interview.
- Dress professionally for the interview.
- Be polite and answer the questions honestly, confidently, and precisely.
- Having certificates of physical training can be an advantage and so the technological skills.
Job Opportunities and Salary of Security Guards
Most commonly, jobs for security guards are offered by MNCs and other corporate companies. The salary range of security guard jobs in Delhi is from INR 50,000 to INR 20,00,000 per annum. The salary will be proportional to the type of job and your experience in this field. The corporate and other private entities will be offering higher salaries for such jobs.