In today's modern world, transportation has become an immensely crucial part of our life. In a metropolitan city like Delhi, a driver's job is a great working opportunity for gaining employment and earning a livelihood. The driver jobs in Delhi are widespread and can be availed with proper skills and qualifications. In this article, light is shed on some of the top driver jobs in Delhi, the challenges that the driver may come across and the key skills required for acing the job.
Key Points to Remember
The driver jobs in Delhi are available in various sectors such as corporate companies, and construction businesses and one can also get self-employed by starting a cab service. Some crucial points that one should be mindful of while planning to pursue a driver’s job in Delhi are given below:
- Proper documentation is an important part of this job. The driver needs to have all the updated documents such as identity proof, driver’s license etcetera.
- It is better to be familiar with the routes to provide good customer service.
- Your visual and spatial ability should be sufficient enough to enable you to drive easily.
- You should be familiar with and mindful of traffic rules and regulations.
- There are different types of driver jobs in Delhi, you can explore and based on your skill-set find the most suitable job for yourself.
Types of Driver Jobs in Delhi
The driver jobs in Delhi have a wide variety of options from which one can choose the most suitable job for them. These different types are discussed below:
- Taxi driver: In cities like Delhi, taxi drivers help passengers reach their destination safely and on time.
- Transport drivers: Transport drivers use tractors, passenger vans etcetera for delivering goods and helping passengers reach their destinations.
- Shuttle drivers: The groups of people can reach their destination through shuttle drivers. Shuttle drivers need to be aware of various routes as per the needs of passengers.
- Parking attendant: The individuals responsible for parking one's car in lots and retrieving it back when required are known as parking attendants. Parking attendants need to be familiar with the working of various vehicles and be able to organize the parking area effectively.
- Bus driver: A driver who is proficient in driving a large vehicle such as a bus and helps various passengers from diverse stops to reach their destination successfully can look forward to taking a bus driver’s job in Delhi.
- Courier driver: The primary responsibility of the courier driver is to deliver the packages to the right recipient promptly.
- Dump truck drivers: A dump truck driver has to carefully load and unload material at the construction sites.
- Driving instructor: The new drivers are trained by the driving instructor as the instructor makes them aware of the working of the vehicle, traffic laws and safety principles while driving.
- Chauffeur: Top driver jobs in Delhi can also include being a chauffeur either to a single client or working with different clients throughout the day. Chauffeurs help their clients travel safely and timely.
- Parts driver: A parts driver is responsible for the delivery of construction parts or equipment. They manage their everyday loading with an effort to deliver everything to different locations promptly.
Key Challenges in this Role
A few important points are listed below shedding light on the key challenges faced while doing the driver jobs in Delhi:
- Breakdown of vehicle: The delivery vehicle plays a crucial role in a driver's job in Delhi. Problems in the wheel, brake, power steering and other important components of the vehicle can halt the whole work process. Further, for repair work, additional investment is required.
- Increasing fuel cost: Fuel cost can be considered an investment for this job and the increasing fuel price can lead to increased investment.
- Running out of gas: Running out of gas during working hours can impact the efficiency and productivity of drivers. There can be multiple causes leading to the origin of this concern such as low maintenance of the vehicle, lack of planning and traffic.
- The poor condition of roads: Delhi is a large city with various types of roads, ranging from well-constructed to unconstructed paths. For a driver's job in Delhi, one needs to be prepared for all such conditions and efficient in driving in various situations.
- Accidents: Road accidents especially at night can be a pivotal challenge for a driver's job in Delhi. There can be various causes of road accidents such as road rage, the need to hurry and poor road conditions.
- Traffic: Traffic jams can be a source of concern for drivers in Delhi. Jams can be observed during rainy days when roads can get blocked and during office hours when it is the peak time for traffic. Traffic can act as a challenge since it can increase the working hours and lead to frustration for the driver.
- Harassment and mistreatment: As a part of the driver's job, one interacts with various individuals, the ones for whom one may be working, people on the road and others. Some of these people can misbehave with the driver leading to a stressful situation.
- Restroom breaks: As a part of a driver's job, one is on the road most of the time and finding adequate rest facilities can be challenging. While working long shifts on road, finding a washroom can be a challenge, especially for those who are not familiar with the routes.
- Weather extremities: Delhi witnesses various kinds of weather conditions ranging from extremely hot summers to chilly winters as well as monsoon season. The vehicle can get very hot during summers and it becomes a challenge for the drivers to ride it. Similarly, in winter the cool breeze can make it difficult for drivers to work easily and in monsoon, the risk of tyres slipping can be there.
Advantages and Benefits of Driver Jobs in Delhi
Driver jobs in Delhi come with a number of rewards and advantages, including:
High Demand: Whether it's for personal or professional use, drivers are in high demand in Delhi. As a result, there is a constant need for knowledgeable and qualified drivers throughout the city.
Work Security: You can be certain of job stability in Delhi as long as you are a capable and responsible driver. There are always job openings due to the great demand for drivers in the city.
Flexibility: Driver positions in Delhi frequently provide flexible working hours. Drivers can efficiently juggle their obligations at work and at home thanks to this.
Growth Opportunities: By enrolling in additional classes or training in subjects like defensive driving, navigation, and first aid, drivers in Delhi have the chance to develop their professions. Better-paying and more satisfying career prospects may result from this.
Travel Opportunities: Driving in Delhi gives you the chance to see the many neighbourhoods and neighbouring areas. For individuals who love to travel, this may be an exciting and gratifying experience.
Networking: You may have the chance as a driver to connect with a variety of people from diverse industries, which may open up new career chances and promote professional development.
Qualifications/Soft Skills Required
There are various types of drivers’ jobs in Delhi and all these require some common set of skills for acting at the job. These skills include:
- Documentation: Pertinent documents such as a driver's license along with the other documents that may be required based on the type of job are essential to attain the job.
- Proficiency in driving: The driver should be able to have professional driving skills that enable them to drive in various conditions such as rainy season, rugged roads etcetera.
- Awareness about traffic laws: Traffic laws act as a guiding compass for driving safely and the driver ought to be aware of the same.
- Awareness about the vehicle and its maintenance: There are various kinds of vehicles and the driver should be familiar with the vehicle they are working with. They should keep themselves updated with the maintenance details of the vehicle.
- Ability to work under pressure: In case of emergencies drivers may have to face pressure from their bosses and need to safely work during such times.
- Customer service: Politeness and efficient communication skills help the drivers interact with their passengers to learn about their destination. Further, these traits also help them interact with their boss efficiently.
- Physical strength: Long working hours whilst keeping one’s spine straight and being alert require physical strength.
- Time management: For attaining the driver’s jobs in Delhi one needs to adhere to time management for increasing productivity and work efficiently under hectic schedules.